Sunday, February 6, 2011

The church is sexist? Homophobic?

I can not necessarily speak to every church and the way they go about communicating the ideals and beliefs of the Christian belief. But as a Christian at Overlake Christian Church I do not hate gays and I do not feel that I am sexist in any way towards women. I believe that the reason the church seems to communicate these ideas of segregation is because the bolder churches are those that have their priorities mixed up and have forgotten the grace they have obtained through the blood of Jesus Christ. I feel that some churches are so intent on emphasizing the idea of eternal damnation if sinners do not admit their wrongs. The fact is that God views all sin equal from homosexuality to the smallest white lie. God wants the church to come around and mentor gays and lesbians but instead i feel the church does a terrible job of this for the most part. (I am not including all churches). To sum it up we are an imperfect race of humans representing a perfect and supreme God.

On the issue of sexism, i do not feel that the church is sexist but rather the opposite. Church promotes the idea of service and leadership from women. They want women to start stepping up into the roles provided. Women are a big part of society these days and their roles in society are increasing. I feel that Pastors are promoting the idea of Deborah in the book of Judges who led Israel out of one of their darkest times. The church realizes that God utilizes both men and women to further his kingdom and i feel that they are doing a good job of encouraging women in their faith, daily walk, and leadership roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment