The argument over predestination and free will and its relevance to the Christian faith has been heightened over the last few decades. John Calvin the founder and strong advocate of predestination, created strong ideals, which center around the idea that Christ has already chosen those who will join him in eternity; these chosen are referred to as “The Elect”. Advocates of free will view life as a series of paths given to man who in turn must choose the path to take. They also believe that a divine being or events of the past do not determine the choices they make, but rather that God allows events to take place, which are dictated by ones ideals and beliefs.
As Christians debate and discuss the topic they begin to create their own ideals and beliefs in turn creating a separation among the church. This has resulted in many different denominations within the Christian church. Many question if the subject is even worth all the distress caused by these two differing opinions. Questions start to arise as you take an in-depth look at both perspectives. For example if man is Predestined what is the point of carrying out the “Great Commission” given to believers in the book of Matthew? In addition, if man has complete free will, is God all knowing and does he really have a “sovereign will” for mankind? In reality, the question that many Christians wonder is if it is possible for there to be a middle ground or borderline between predestination and free will?
I knew you would write about this after our heated talks about this subject. I know you will write a wonderful paper based on this aweome question you came up with. I really hope you can find somewhat of an answer to share with me.
ReplyDeleteReally good. Can't wait to read the rest since i kinda think that a person can straddle the fence and be just fine.
ReplyDeleteAwesome dude. I like how you pointed out how this is actually separating the church. You did a god job pointing out both sides and explaining the different arguments. This is a great question to discuss.
ReplyDeleteHey nice work Farwell. I love your topic. I love the questions you ask throughout the paragraph. I hope you can come up with an answer to them.
ReplyDeleteBrandon- your essay topic is really interesting and the essay itself is very strong so far. The background information you put into the first two paragraphs ensures you really know what you are talking about and I can tell you are passionate about the subject. The overall structure flows really well also. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with as an answer.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis will be an awesome paper to read! This is a topic I’ve been thinking about a lot since our discussion in class. I hope you find some great information, and share it with me! I’m curious to know what facts and truths you find on this topic. Try and use the bible as much as you can, as well as other religious book to see the differences. I'm sure we'll being talking on this subject soon! GOOD LUCK BRANDON!
ReplyDeleteBro im excited because we are writing about the same topic! I'm thinking that we could possibly bounce ideas off each other during research times etc. You had some really good questions that I'm not sure I can answer.
ReplyDelete